Spring is a great time of year. The weather finally starts to warm up and we suddenly get the urge to do a little spring cleaning and home maintenance indoors. The beauty of spring might also highlight some of the more unsightly aspects outside of our homes. Missing shingles, leaves in gutters, dirty siding, and cracks in the cement of your driveway or sidewalk. Here are some tips to help get the exterior of your home ready for spring:
- Examine your roof – From the ground, look to see if any shingles are damaged or missing from the winter. Any shingles that are damaged, cracked, or loose need to be replaced, since the summer sun can heighten the problem. If you have an old roof, it may be time to consider a complete replacement.
- Clean siding – Salt and mud can build up on the exterior of your home during the winter. Depending on the type of siding, you can use a hose or pressure washer to clean it. If your siding looks to be in very poor shape, you may need to replace it.
- Inspect your gutters – Check for loose or leaky spots, and if you find any, repair as needed. Improper drainage can lead to water getting into your basement or crawl space. Make sure all your downspouts lead away from the foundation of your house.
- Have your chimney cleaned – Check your chimney from the outside to see if there’s been any damage, and hire a certified chimney sweep to inspect and clean your chimney (this should be done annually).
- Treat your concrete – Fill in any cracks in your driveway or walkways with concrete caulk or filler, and power-wash and reseal if weather permits.
If it’s time to replace your roof or siding, you’ll want to call JM Remodeling & Construction! We offer general roofing, roof repairs, seamless gutter replacements and siding in a variety of materials to match your budget and home aesthetic. JM Remodeling can customize your services according to your specific needs. With the proficient skills of our staff, you will get the excellent roofing or siding you need combined with the best materials we have! So get your home spruced up for spring. Contact JM Remodeling & Construction today!