Remodeling with the Help of a Contractor
It’s a brand new year, and you have decided that you want to have a “brand new” house. Without the hassle of actually moving, of course. If you are ready to remodel, it is likely that you are searching for a contractor. A quality contractor will be knowledgeable, creative and will provide you fabulous results. With all the options available, it can be difficult to distinguish between a quality contractor and someone who may deliver more disorganization than repair.
- Find the right type of professional: In home remodeling, there are different types of contractors available. For instance, architects focus on large projects and structural precision in their work. They are consequently useful for large projects. Designers focus on visual aesthetics which is perfect if you already have a solid basis from which to work. General contractors are perfect for carrying out a plan that is already in place and Design/Build contractors do all of the above.
- Do your research: The internet, and your neighbors, are truly invaluable resources when seeking a remodeler. It is easy to find many quality reviews on search engines like Google and through social media such as Facebook. Simply look for “stars,” or “ratings” for a particular company and you should find some pretty honest thoughts. Asking around your neighborhood for suggestions, especially if you are particularly fond of someone’s house or yard, is another great means of weeding out poor candidates.
- Validify insurance and licensing: This can save you and your contractor if something goes wrong.
- Establish your deadlines, pricing and conditions prior to hiring someone: This way you can ensure that your house is completed by the time you need it done and will not have any unforeseen surprises once the work has begun.
- Interview potentials and contact references: It is worth developing a list of questions and concerns and then calling potentials in for interviews. This will enable you to get a feel for who you are working with and will enable you to create a side-by-side comparison for your personalized needs. Asking for a list of references and then contacting them is a great way to see what other clients have thought of their work.
By taking a couple of simple steps, you can greatly increase the likelihood of finding the best contractor for your own, customized needs. Like hiring an artist, a contractor’s portfolio typically is the best way to distinguish their style and work quality. Viewing galleries of work like the ones at JM Remodeling & Contruction, LLC can provide insight as to the quality of a contractor and may even help spark new creative inspiration. Happy housing!